Call for Rodent Research Technician
- Date: 3.12.2020
- Location: Champalimaud Centre for the Unknown
- Employer: Champalimaud Foundation
- Job type: Full Time
- Position: Scientific and Technological Platforms
- Application start: 3.12.2020
A Call for Research Technician is open at Fundação D. Anna de Sommer Champalimaud e Dr. Carlos Montez Champalimaud (Champalimaud Foundation) in the context of the Rodent Platform.
Subject of activities:
We are seeking a highly motivated candidate to be trained, support and assist in the specific operation and services of the Vivarium of the Champalimaud Foundation whose duties and responsibilities may include some or all of the tasks below:
- Performing rodent care and husbandry routine procedures;
- Performing rodent colony management tasks, including breeding, weaning, sample collection and cage usage management;
- Assistance to animal husbandry rooms, material and consumables processing, for proper maintenance of animals under strict animal welfare standards and stringent health status;
- Supervision of Procedure rooms and Surgical Suites, including minor technical assistance to equipment and replacement of consumables;
- Training and supervising users on the correct use of the Procedure rooms and Surgical Suite;
- Providing assistance to surgeries and peri-surgical care;
- Performing and/or providing training or assistance to basic animal experimental procedures;
- Providing special care and assistance to sick, convalescent, post-surgical or otherwise debilitated rodents;
- Actively collaborate on the rodent general health and welfare programmes;
- Other tasks relevant for the maintenance and development of high scientific and animal welfare standards of the Vivarium of the Champalimaud Foundation and the services it provides to all users.
As a minimum requirement, candidates must hold a BSc in Life Sciences. Having a personal animal experimentation license and prior experience in a rodent facility/research environment is most preferable. Proven experience in similar tasks will also be valued.
This is a full time position with occasional periods of high demand, requiring effective time management. Postholder will be asked to prioritize efficiently and multitask, without compromising attention to detail. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, organized, efficient, science-driven and a team worker. A careful eye for detail and strong logical skills are also required. Candidates must be comfortable with the English language.
Motivation letter, Curriculum Vitae (both in English), degree certificates and contacts for references should be sent by e-mail with the subject: “Rodents Research Technician YourLastName” to firstname.lastname@example.org or handed at the Champalimaud Centre for The Unknown, addressed to the Fellowships Office.
CALL WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL POST IS FILLED.