Postdoc position: Automation in Radiotherapy Workflow
- Date: 5.5.2020
- Location: Champalimaud Centre for the Unknown
- Employer: Champalimaud Foundation
- Job type: Full Time
- Position: Postdoctoral Positions
- Application start: 15.5.2020 Application ends: 1.6.2020
A Call for one PostDoc fellowship or similar is open at Fundação D.Anna de Sommer Champalimaud e Dr.Carlos Montez Champalimaud (Champalimaud Foundation) in the context of the project ESE – EUREKA – EUROSTARS – E! 113263 – ARTWORK (Automation in Radiotherapy Workflow) – financed by Eureka – Eurostars 2, Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (FCT) / Ministério da Educação e Ciência (MCTES) and Agência Nacional de Inovação, SA (ANI).
1. Duration: The Fellowship will have the duration of 12 months, renewable for additional periods until a maximum of 18 months, never surpassing the preliminary end date (December 31st, 2021) and is expected to start in July 1st, 2020 , in exclusiveness regime, as regulated by Lei n.º 40/2004, de 18 de Agosto (Decreto-Lei n.º 123/2019 e 28 de Agosto), FCT (Estatuto do Bolseiro de Investigação Científica) and the FCT Research Fellowship Regulations (https://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/docs/RegulamentoBolsasFCT2019.pdf), as well as the Fellowship Regulations of the Champalimaud Foundation.
2. Subject of Activities: the postdoc will test software developed by our industrial, clinical, and international partners in the project. The software aims to improve efficiency and quality of radiation treatments for cancer patients by allowing independent modules to intervene in our clinical workflow. Of particular interest will be the clinical testing of a module that mitigates the effect of lung tumor motions due to breathing. The postdoc will also develop our own module(s), and implement them in the software.
3. Scientific Orientation: The successful candidate will integrate into the Radiotherapy department and work under the direct supervision of Joep Stroom.
4. Selecting Criteria: Any national, foreign and stateless candidate(s) holding a PhD degree in physics/informatics or similar, with a demonstrated ability for independent and creative research. Experience with high-level programming is required. Good English skills are essential.
The candidate for this position cannot have received their PhD more than three years prior to the start date of the fellowship and cannot have done their PhD research at Champalimaud Foundation.
5. Monthly Stipend: 1.650,00 € as determined by FCT, I.P. Scientific Fellowships regulations for Portugal (www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores) and the Fellowship Regulations of the Champalimaud Foundation.
Potentially, this value can be increased with Champalimaud Foundation internal funds, according to experience and performance. The fellowship will be paid monthly by bank transfer. The fellowship holder will have a personal accident insurance and, if not covered by any social protection scheme, can ensure the right to social security through adherence to the voluntary social insurance scheme.
6. Work Place: the activities will be performed at Champalimaud Centre for the Unknown
7. Application Documents: Applications can be sent by e-mail, with subject “Automation in Radiotherapy Workflow – J. Stroom” , to the e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org until 5pm (GMT) of June 1st, 2020.
Paper applications must be handed at the Main Lobby Reception Desk of the Champalimaud Foundation in a closed envelope addressed to the HR&Fellows Office and identified with the abovementioned reference. Please include an email address at which to be contacted regarding your application.
The selected candidate must submit proof of her/his PhD or Doctoral Degree within 10 days following notification of the preliminary results. More information about Diplomas recognition may be found in the Euraxess portal.
All candidates who formalize their application incorrectly or who fail to provide the requirements imposed by this tender are excluded from admission. In case of doubt, the panel is entitled to request further documentation to support candidate statements.
8. Methods of selection: The candidates’ selection will fully observe all applicable legislation and will consist in the evaluation of the scientific and curricular backgrounds of the candidates, with particular attention given to the relevance, quality, actuality and adequacy of the aforementioned backgrounds, to be weighed as follows: – motivation letter: 15%; – curriculum vitae: 55%.
Evaluation scale: Each application shall be evaluated by the jury in a scale from 0% (not adequate) to 70% (excellent). Suitable candidates will be invited to interview (25%), reference letters shall be requested (5%).
9. Jury Selection:
Chairman: Joep Stroom
Member: Sandra Viera
Member: Carlo Greco
10. Notification of Results: The highest scoring candidate will be notified by email or telephone. All other candidates will be notified by email.
11. Prior hearing and deadline for final decision: After being notified, candidates will have 10 work days to present a claim by email. If no claim is received by the Champalimaud Foundation, the jury’s decision will become definitive.
12. Application Period: From May 15th, 2020 until June 1st, 2020.