Zebrafish Research Technician
- Date: 5.6.2017
- Location: Champalimaud Centre for the Unknown, Lisbon - Portugal
- Employer: Champalimaud Foundation - Research
- Job type: Full Time
- Position: Technical
- Application start: 21.6.2017 Application ends: 5.7.2017
A Call for one Research Technician Fellowship (Bolsa de Técnico de Investigação) is open at Fundação D. Anna de Sommer Champalimaud e Dr. Carlos Montez Champalimaud (Champalimaud Foundation) in the context of the project of Research Infrastructures CONGENTO – PT2020 01/SAICT/2016_022170 – financed by Fundo Europeu de Desenvolvimento Regional (FEDER) through Programa Operacional Regional de Lisboa and FCT through national funds (PIDDAC).
1. Duration: The BTI will have the duration of 12 months, with the possibility of renewal for additional periods, and is expected to start on or after the 15th of July, 2017, in exclusiveness regime, as regulated by Lei n.º 40/2004, de 18 de Agosto, FCT (Estatuto do Bolseiro de Investigação Científica) and the FCT Research Fellowship Regulations (www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/docs/RegulamentoBolsasFCT2015.pdf), as well as the Fellowship Regulations of the Champalimaud Foundation.
2. Subject of Activities: We are seeking a highly motivated zebrafish research technician to support and assist in the operation and services of the Fish Platform of the Champalimaud Foundation under the scope of the Research Infrastructure Congento.
Duties and responsibilities of the appointed candidate include:
» Maintenance of life support systems, fish husbandry and water quality;
» Maintenance of live feed cultures;
» Maintenance and characterization of different types of zebrafish lines (mutants, transgenics);
» Carry out zebrafish crosses for « Perform microinjection into zebrafish embryos to establish stable transgenic lines;
» Other tasks relevant for the maintenance and development of high scientific and animal welfare standards of the Fish Platform of the Champalimaud Foundation
3. Scientific Orientation: The successful candidate will integrate the CF Fish Platform team of the Champalimaud Research Program and work under direct supervision of Ana Catarina Certal.
4. Selecting Criteria:
~ Candidates must hold a degree in Life Sciences. Having a personal animal experimentation license and prior experience in a zebrafish facility/research environment is most preferable.
~ This is a fulltime position with occasional periods of high demand, requiring effective time management. Postholder will be asked to prioritize efficiently and multitask, without compromising attention to detail.
~ The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, organized, efficient, science-driven and a team worker.
~ A careful eye for detail and strong logical skills are also required. Candidates must be able to communicate effectively in English.
5. Monthly Stipend: range between 745€ and 980€ per month, as determined by FCT, I.P. Scientific Fellowships regulations for Portugal (www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores) and the Fellowship Regulations of the Champalimaud Foundation, to be paid by bank transfer in the last business day of each month.
6. Application Documents: Motivation letter, Curriculum Vitae (In English) and contacts of previous supervisors should be sent by e-mail with the subject: “Zebrafish Research Technician” to firstname.lastname@example.org or handed at the Champalimaud Centre for The Unknown, addressed to Ana Catarina Certal.
7. Selection Method: Selection methods shall be as follows: curriculum (60%) and motivation letter (40%). Evaluation based on the scale: Excellent (4), Good (3) Satisfactory (2), and Poor (0). In case of equally qualified candidates, interviews will be conducted and evaluations from previous supervisors will be considered, as well as a candidate’s perceived fit and potential contribution to the CONGENTO Research Infrastructure.
8. Jury Selection: Chairman: Ana Catarina Certal, Ph.D. Other members: Isabel Campos, Ph.D., Ana Raquel Tomás, Ph.D.
9. Form of advertising/notification of results: The highest scoring candidate will be notified by email or telephone. All other candidates will be notified by email.
10. Application Period: Applications will be accepted from the 21st of June to the 5th of July, 2017.